Friday 1 May 2009

Aesthetic & Tate Britain

What's your aesthetic?

When it comes to my aesthetic, I find it hard to pinpoint a particular world that I can be classified as. I enjoy a variety of art styles but if I must choose one I would have to say I am closest to being a classicist. I like looking for balance and harmony within art. Whether it’s a combination of light and shadow, sharp and faded, or deep and bright tones, I enjoy pieces that have a balance of opposite features. I also find that I have a tendency to gravitate more towards pieces that focus more on nature and landscapes. Though I’m not the biggest nature person, this style of art seems to affect my mood more so than other art forms.

Turner vs. Rothko

In the Turner/Rothko exhibit, I found Turner’s work to be of greater interest. In his earlier work Turner’s style appeared to be closely related to that of Rothko. They both created very abstract pieces and their brush techniques appear to be very similar. However, I found Rothko’s pieces to be more abstract in that there isn’t any type of indication of what the pieces is suppose to be or what it is representing. On the other hand, Turner’s abstract pieces had subtle clues (such as his use of certain color combinations) that help the audience visualize what he was portraying in the pieces. It seems that Rothko’s art style remained the same while Turner went through many phases in his lifetime. As you walk through the different rooms, you can see the changes his painting style over the years, It appears that over time Turner began to incorporate the use of lighting effects and more details into his work. The techniques used are so different that it’s hard to believe that all of the pieces were created by the same artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment